Thursday, February 28, 2013

Social networking and young adult readers

I recently wrote about Book Drum, a reading promotion and social networking site which I really like for my High School students. Today another one came through my PLN from Bright Ideas, a post about another new social networking site for readers, Bookish.
With a broad target audience, it is possible to limit by subject, including one for young adults and teens.
This site differs from Goodreads and Book Drum in that recommendations are supplied by publishers, not members. Recommendations are based on "more like.." and users can create their own shelves.

I am a regular user of Goodreads. I use it to log my reading and I enjoy seeing what friends are reading. I check reviews - with caution - for titles I am considering buying.

So I have added a new page to my Into Reading guide for my students - Reading and social networking sites. I have just links to three - Book Drum, Bookish and Goodreads. I will promote this with my English classes, and with a hit counter there we will see how it goes.

No comments:

Post a Comment